How to enjoy green tea health benefits by using it in your beauty routinePosted on May 11, 2018 Written by: 100% PURE®
Eastern influences are huge in beauty and fashion right now: we’re all about the East meets West collision of culture in everything from celebrity style to our favorite ingredients. When it comes to skin care, we’re in a committed relationship with green tea: a superstar ingredient with Eastern origin and Western diaspora. We’re shining a spotlight on the benefits of green tea for skin, and how to use it in an effective and absorbable form for maximum glow.
Green Tea Health Benefits
First let’s talk where green tea all started. In the 7th century, Japanese monks visiting China to study Zen Buddhism returned home with their new discovery of green tea’s wonderful healing properties. In the following centuries, drinking green tea became a staple for Japanese monks, imbuing them with energy and mental focus that enhanced their meditation. Green tea health benefits also include detoxing power, and an ability to reduce blood pressure and cholesterol.
Today, Japanese green tea - also known as matcha - has developed a shining reputation for its high levels of antioxidants. But that’s not its only star quality. Green tea health benefits can be enjoyed both from drinking it and applying it on skin. Here are the six top reasons to use green tea for skin.
Benefits of Green Tea for Skin
- Drinking and applying green tea fights skin cancer by promoting DNA repair. Green tea contains a powerful antioxidant called EGCG that fights DNA damage from UV rays to prevent skin cancer. That means it’s also a potent anti-aging ingredient that combats signs of aging when ingested or applied topically.
- We love green tea for its anti-inflammatory properties, thanks to its high content of polyphenols called catechins. The catechins in green tea reduce irritation, redness, and swelling. Throw on a Green Tea Water Bomb Mask for a pampering way to enjoy the benefits of green tea for skin. It’s an intensely hydrating face mask that absorbs into your skin for reduced redness and soothed skin.
- Green tea is powerful antibacterial agent for treating acne and uncloging pores. Polyphenols in green tea damage bacterial membranes and fight against infection, meaning that it’s a useful tool for treating bacterial growth that causes acne. It helps kill systemic bacterial inflammation for smoother, toned skin.
- Green tea is chock full of Vitamin B2 and Vitamin E, both essential for skin health maintenance. B2 plays an essential role in maintaining collagen levels for youthful skin structure and firmness. Vitamin E supports new skin cell growth and also acts an intense hydrator for soft and nourished skin.
- Caffeine and tannins in green tea help shrink blood vessels around the eyes, making it a miracle for treating puffy eyes and dark circles. Apply some Coffee Bean Caffeine Eye Cream that’s packed with green tea and coffee for powerful skin depuffing and brightening action.
- The benefits of green tea for skin expand to your hair, too! Green tea leaf fibers are proven to stimulate hair growth, thanks to catechins and polyphenols stimulating cell turnover in hair follicles. We feature green tea fiber in our celebrated Green Tea Fiber Brow Builder, which fans cheekily refer to as “hair extensions for your eyebrows.”
Best Green Tea Skin Care Products
The Green Tea EGCG Concentrate Serum starts with a base of soothing and anti-inflammatory organic aloe water. Rosehip oil and avocado oil contain high levels of essential fatty acids for supple skin. Add to this mix organic acai and goji berry, both tropical fruits with high antioxidant content to increase firmness and elasticity. With anti-inflammatory green tea and anti-aging EGCG, the whole blend is a potent age corrective formula that your skin will love you for. Pat onto your face right after cleansing in the PM, and wait for it to fully absorb before sealing it in with your regular moisturizer.
The Green Tea EGCG Concentrate Defense Cream works synergistically with the Green Tea EGCG Concentrate Serum to keep your skin protected from the elements. The base of organic yerba mate water naturally contains caffeine, which brightens and reduces puffiness when applied topically. We’ve built up the formula with moisturizing açaí butter, skin purifying rooibos tea, and an antioxidant packed organic essential oil blend. The formula stars green tea oil and EGCG, which hydrate, soothe inflammation, and keep fine lines and dullness far away from your face. This cream is designed to protect against environmental pollution in both the AM and PM. Applying this moisturizer post cleanse will protect your skin from free radical damage. Over time, your skin will start to feel softer and denser – and most importantly, more fortified.
How to Use Green Tea for Skin
Antioxidants are a powerful piece in the anti-aging puzzle because they work to reduce inflammation and free radicals that accelerate skin aging. Green tea is a particularly valuable ingredient when it comes to antioxidants because it contains EGCG, a hard-to-find antioxidant that counters the effects of pollution, sun damage, and chemicals. To reap the benefits of green tea for skin, stick to a targeted skin care routine to powerfully counteract cellular damage, and reinforce your skin’s natural ability to defend itself.
Step 1: Cleanse
Start your Japanese inspired skincare routine with the Fermented Rice Water Cleanser for a brightening cleanse that will dissolve pollutants and makeup with a natural formula comprised of fermented rice water (AKA sake), mulberries, and mushrooms. This cleanser is formulated without sulfates or harsh detergents, and instead relies on plant derived acids and organic licorice to clean your pores without stripping your face of natural oils.
Step 2: Toner
Continue your skin care lineup with our Fermented Rice Water Toner, which boasts a super nutrient-dense formula that combines the skin plumping properties of hyaluronic acid with the antioxidant nutrient shot provided by sake. This is a serum that’s been specifically designed to deeply soften, nourish and brighten your complexion. The concentration of natural ingredients helps to lessen dark spots to give you a healthier glow.
Step 3: Enrich
Now it’s time for the star ingredient to join the tea party. Apply our Green Tea EGCG Concentrate Serum, which boasts a nutrient-dense formula that was specifically designed to soften your skin all while providing protection against environmental damage. This natural facial serum works behind-the-scenes, protecting your face from free radicals caused by pollutants. Apply a dime-sized amount before a day in the city to protect your delicate dermis from environmental junk.
PRO TIP: Why do you apply serum first? Always apply serum as your first skin care layer (after cleansing) for extra nutrients and vitamins. The molecules are smaller than a moisturizer, so your serum can easily penetrate deeper layers of your skin, helping to hydrate and protect more effectively.
Step 4: Moisturize
Finish your full green tea regime with natural hydration. Our Green Tea EGCG Concentrate Cream harnesses green tea oil, yerba mate, olive squalane and potent rooibos for a deeply nourishing treatment that will counteract sun damage and toxins.
Hopefully you now have a better idea of how to enjoy green tea health benefits not just from drinking it, but by also applying it on skin. Interested in more beauty tips for soothing damaged skin and signs of aging? Check out the following beauty blogs for more pro tips:
- Tags: Skin Care
We carefully hand-select products based on strict purity standards, and only recommend products we feel meet this criteria. 100% PURE™ may earn a small commission for products purchased through affiliate links.
The information in this article is for educational use, and not intended to substitute professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment and should not be used as such.