Need-to-know tips for full body exfoliation, featuring the best body scrubs!Posted on September 5, 2023 Written by: 100% PURE®
The seasons are changing: the sun’s working shorter shifts, and the temperature is steadily dropping. You might notice your skin going through some changes, too: dryness and itching creeping in, and skin losing its brightness and luster. But have no fear – that’s normal and treatable.
If you don’t already have a body scrub in your body care arsenal, this is the perfect time of the year to start scrub-a-dub-dubbing in the tub. Check down below for the benefits of using a scrub on your skin, and details on the best body scrubs to get your skin back to its happy place.
With the boot-and-scarf season upon us, and, well, everything pumpkin spice, the not-so-nice downfall to fall is dry, dull, and itchy skin. Skin that’s rough around the edges – and cracks and crevices – can all be improved by a full body exfoliation routine. Using a body scrub is one of the best tools for getting you there!
Body exfoliating rejuvenates your skin by buffing away bumps, flakes, and annoying dry skin – that means more radiant skin, and smoother texture overall. Check out some of the top benefits of using a body scrub:
#1. Boosts Circulation
Not only does exfoliating put a little more pep into our body’s circulation step, but a body scrub also improves the flow of nutrients in our skin’s tissue, which results in brighter, healthier-looking skin.
#2. Removes Dead Skin
Nobody wants clingers, including ones that aren’t alive and are stuck on our skin. A body scrub is excellent for removing the rather unhealthy relationship of flakey skin cells and sending them packing.
#3. Full of Antioxidants and Anti-Inflammatory Properties
If you’re using a quality, natural body scrub, those tiny exfoliants are going to pack a mighty dose of does-the-body-good benefits. Our collection features ingredients that can nourish skin, reduce inflammation, and help return skin to optimal health.
#4. Helps Reduce Cellulite
Who invited this annoying skin culprit to the party? A body scrub can help keep those pesky little dimples from showing up here, there, and everywhere we don’t want them. While it won’t completely eliminate cellulite, you can use a body scrub to help lessen their unevening effects and send most of them packing, too.
#5. Allows Better Absorption
Have you ever nearly lost your mind wondering how you can lather your body in creams or oils when your skin is still dry or patchy? Using a body scrub allows our skin to better absorb moisture from body creams and body oils along with providing you the full skin benefits of your products.
Exfoliation is something that every skin type needs. Those with sensitive or dry skin may prefer a gentler option, while those with body acne may be better suited to clarifying scrubs. No matter your skin type, body scrubs are a key player for more radiant skin, and smoother texture overall – but first, you’ll need to learn how to use them properly.
Check out these quick and easy steps for applying a body scrub:
Make sure your skin is thoroughly wet and softened with warm water – overly hot water can dry out and sensitize your skin.
Massage body scrub in towards your heart for the best circulation. Start at your feet and work your way up using circular motions. Pay extra attention to dry, rough areas like the legs, elbows, knees, and arms. Avoid areas of broken or freshly shaved skin, and avoid scrubbing too hard or for too long. Even dry, rough skin is delicate, and will only need about 10 seconds for a thorough exfoliation.
PRO TIP: If you have extra sensitive skin, you can try a dry scrub on clean, dry skin. Coined more as body polishes, these gentle formulas contain nourishing ingredients like oils and clays that help to exfoliate the skin.
Rinse thoroughly with clean, cool water and pat dry with a towel. Re-moisturize your skin, especially any extra dry areas, like knees or elbows.
It can be hard to find a quality body scrub: made without synthetic dyes, plastic beads, or toxic perfumes. But if you’re reading this, you’re in luck! Shop some of the best body scrubs below, including some from our award-winning collection!
Our body scrubs feature 3 delectable scents, derived from essential oils and natural food-grade flavors. These therapeutic scrubs are designed to calm the mind and lighten the soul while providing skin with some much-needed TLC.
Detoxifying sea salt crystals are the star of this collection, joined by a supporting cast of nourishing plant and seed oils for super soft skin. We not only love them, but we also all 3 won Allure Best of Beauty 2020!
Each of these top body scrubs is special in its own right. Check out the details of each, and good luck choosing your favorite!
for more blog updates and exclusive discounts
- Made with energizing and uplifting citrus oils
- Deeply moisturizes skin with silky sunflower and apricot oils
- Apricot oil is a non-greasy, moisturizing oil that enhances skin suppleness and elasticity
- Orange, pink grapefruit, and lemon essential oils offer antibacterial benefits for acne-prone skin
- Citrus oils promote skin luminosity and glow
- The perfect pick-me-up for sunny summer mornings
- Naturally pigmented by a trio of nutrient-rich citrus oils
- Infused with the warm, tropical scent of coconut
- Makes you want to sing “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” in your shower (which, by the way, is encouraged)
- Deeply moisturizes skin with silky sunflower, apricot, and jojoba oils
- Jojoba oil has anti-inflammatory and emollient properties that can soothe dryness and chafing for smooth, comfortable skin
- The combo of sea salt and coconut transports your skin and senses to a tropical island paradise
- Lavender essential oil provides purifying properties to banish acne-causing bacteria
- Lavender promotes deep relaxation with aromatherapeutic propertiesM
- Sunflower, apricot, and jojoba oils balance the skin’s delicate moisture barrier
- Vitamin E and lavender essential oil work to lighten the appearance of scarring
- Infused with the sweet and nutty aroma of honey and almond
- Makes you want to hum a comforting tune during your bathtime
- Deeply moisturizes skin with luxurious sunflower and apricot oils
- Apricot oil's emollient nature helps to soften and rejuvenate your skin
- The combo of sea salt and honey almond invigorates your skin, leaving it glowing and radiant.
- Infused with the rich and energizing aroma of cacao and coffee
- Buffs away imperfections for a radiant and deeply nourished appearance
- Features high-quality organic and fair-trade Ecuadorian cacao, packed with beneficial tannins, flavonoids, and antioxidants
- Natural caffeine from coffee and cacao acts as an anti-inflammatory agent, reducing redness and combating UV damage
- Enjoy a fresh, glowing complexion after each use.
You didn’t think the pampering ended at the scrub, did you?! Right after applying your fave body scrub from above, it’s important to lotion up! All that freshly exposed baby skin will need some moisture to keep it soft, smooth, and protected.
Use a cream that’s gentle and soothing, rather than stimulating or extra strong, as freshly exfoliated skin can be a bit sensitive. Our Honey Almond Whipped Body Butter is a great place to start! And it’s easy to pair with coconut or almond scrubs.
Using a body scrub is a super important part of your skincare routine, regardless of your skin type or the season! Pairing the right natural exfoliating ingredients with your skin needs will lead to healthier skin. So it’s the boot-and-scarf season with the best body scrubs for rejuvenated, brighter, and happier skin – and happy scrubbing!
Can body scrubs be used on all skin types, including sensitive skin?
Body scrubs can generally be used on a variety of skin types, but those with sensitive skin should be cautious. Ingredients matter a lot. Opt for a scrub made with finer, less abrasive particles and gentle ingredients if you have sensitive skin. Always perform a patch test first to ensure there are no adverse reactions. Consulting a dermatologist before introducing a new skincare product is also advisable.
How do body scrubs differ from face scrubs?
- Coarseness of Granules: Body scrubs often have larger, coarser granules, which are too harsh for the facial skin. Facial scrubs usually have finer, smoother granules that are gentle enough for the sensitive skin on your face.
- Formulation: Body scrubs may contain stronger ingredients or oils that are fine for body skin but may be too harsh or comedogenic (pore-clogging) for the face. Face scrubs often have added benefits like anti-aging properties, which are specifically formulated for facial skin.
- Skin Sensitivity: The skin on your face is generally more sensitive and prone to breakouts, which means it requires a gentler, more specialized approach than your body's skin.
- Frequency of Use: Body scrubs can generally be used more often than face scrubs due to the thicker, less sensitive skin on your body.
How do body scrubs help in preventing ingrown hairs and achieving a smoother shave?
Body scrubs exfoliate the top layer of dead skin cells, which can help to free any hairs trapped beneath the skin surface. This is particularly useful for preventing ingrown hairs.
By removing dead skin, scrubs create a smoother skin surface. This makes it easier for your razor to glide over the skin, which can result in a closer and smoother shave.
The scrub can also help unclog pores and remove dirt, allowing for a cleaner shaving surface and less risk of post-shave irritation.
Are there any potential side effects or skin reactions after using body scrubs?
- Skin Irritation: Overuse of a scrub or using one with overly harsh ingredients can lead to skin irritation, redness, and sensitivity.
- Dryness: Some scrubs can strip the skin of its natural oils, leading to dryness. Make sure to moisturize well after using a scrub.
- Allergic Reactions: Always read the ingredients list carefully, especially if you have sensitive skin or known allergies.
- Aggravation of Skin Conditions: If you have a pre-existing skin condition like eczema or psoriasis, a body scrub could potentially aggravate it.
To minimize risks, always follow the manufacturer’s instructions, perform a patch test before full use, and consult a dermatologist if you have any concerns.
- Tags: September-2023
We carefully hand-select products based on strict purity standards, and only recommend products we feel meet this criteria. 100% PURE™ may earn a small commission for products purchased through affiliate links.
The information in this article is for educational use, and not intended to substitute professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment and should not be used as such.