Embrace Your Colorful Expression with a Healthy Twist!Posted on October 4, 2023 Written by: 100% PURE®
In a world where every minute detail of our lives is met with scrutiny, the choices we make about personal care play a significant role not only in how we present ourselves but also in our overall wellness. From the skin creams we lather on our face to the polish we brush onto our nails, every element of our self-care routine can have long-lasting implications on our health.
Self-care is more than just an Instagram-worthy trend or a relaxing evening ritual; it's a holistic approach to well-being. When we prioritize self-care, we invest in our mental, emotional, and physical health. For many, a mani-pedi session isn't just about achieving beautiful nails; it's a therapeutic process, a moment of solitude and rejuvenation. However, while indulging in these pampering sessions, it's essential to understand what we are exposing our bodies to.
Traditionally, many nail polishes have been formulated with a cocktail of chemicals that, while effective in achieving a glossy, long-lasting finish, may not be the best for our health. Some of the most common culprits include:
- Toluene: Used to give nail polish a smooth finish, prolonged exposure to toluene can result in neurological harm and is a potential reproductive toxin.
- Formaldehyde: A known carcinogen, formaldehyde is often used in nail hardeners and some nail polishes to help them last longer.
- Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP): This chemical is added to prevent nail polish from becoming brittle but has been linked to reproductive issues and can impact hormonal balance.
- Camphor: While it gives nail polish its shiny appearance, camphor in large quantities can cause seizures and disorientation.
The risks associated with these chemicals are especially concerning given that our nails are porous, meaning they can absorb some of what's applied to them. Over time, frequent application of such toxic ingredients can lead to an accumulation within our system.
Recognizing the potential hazards of traditional formulations, a new wave of nail polish brands has emerged, championing non-toxic ingredients that prioritize health without compromising on performance or aesthetics. These non-toxic nail polishes typically avoid the "toxic trio" of toluene, formaldehyde, and DBP, among other harmful ingredients.
Instead, they are made with ingredients derived from more natural and sustainable sources. This means you can still enjoy a glossy finish, a vibrant color palette, and the durability you'd expect from a high-quality nail polish, but without the associated health risks.
By switching to non-toxic nail polish, not only do you protect your nails and the skin surrounding them, but you also promote better health for your entire body. As self-care advocates, it's time we align our beauty choices with wellness in mind, ensuring that every brushstroke leads us to a healthier, more vibrant version of ourselves.
A manicure can be the finishing touch to a perfect outfit, a subtle accent for a job interview, or a self-care ritual. But not all nail polishes are created equal. In recent years, the beauty industry has seen a push towards non-toxic formulations. So, what exactly sets non-toxic nail polishes apart?
Understanding Non-Toxic Formulations
- 3-Free: This was one of the earliest non-toxic formulas, ensuring that nail polishes were free from the three notorious chemicals: Formaldehyde, Toluene, and Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP). These are often linked with health concerns.
- 5-Free: Expanding on the 3-Free formula, 5-Free polishes also do away with Formaldehyde Resin and Camphor. Both have been associated with allergic reactions and skin irritation.
- 7-Free: Apart from the chemicals excluded in 5-Free formulations, 7-Free polishes don't have Xylene and Ethyl Tosylamide, substances that might pose risks to the nervous system and reproductive health, respectively.
- 9-Free: Taking it a step further, these formulations also exclude Parabens and Acetone. Parabens can interfere with the body's hormones, while acetone can be very drying to the nails and skin.
But, if you think 9-Free is the pinnacle, think again.
The 100% PURE 20-Free Nail Polish
100% PURE has set a new gold standard with its 20-Free Nail Polish, ensuring users are as far removed from harmful chemicals as possible. These nail polishes are free from:
- Formaldehyde Resin
- Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP)
- Ethyl Tosylamide
- Triphenyl Phosphate (TPHP)
- Animal Ingredients
- Methylisothiazolinone (MIT)
- Hydroquinone Monomethyl Ether (MEHQ)
- Palm Oil
- Nonylphenol Ethoxylate
The exhaustive list ensures that potential allergens, irritants, and health hazards are completely kept at bay.
Benefits for Health and Environment
- Healthier Nails and Skin: Without harsh chemicals, there's a decreased risk of nail yellowing, brittleness, and skin irritation.
- Reduced Exposure: Decreasing the number of chemicals in personal care products means reducing the potential risks associated with them, which might include hormonal disruption, allergies, and reproductive issues.
- Environmentally Friendly: Many toxic chemicals in nail polishes can leach into the environment, harming aquatic life and affecting water quality. Non-toxic polishes help in mitigating these environmental damages.
- Ethical Choices: With no animal ingredients, you're also opting for cruelty-free, making it a more ethical beauty choice.
When it comes to selecting nail polish, not only is the color important, but it’s also essential to ensure that the ingredients making up the shade are non-toxic and safe for use. With an emphasis on health, we’ve cherry-picked five of the trendiest, 100% PURE non-toxic shades from our collection that will keep your nails looking chic and feeling healthy. Plus, we’ve offered some style recommendations for each hue to ensure your nails are always in sync with your look.
I’m a Little Rusty - a rusty pink
This versatile shade seamlessly transitions from day to night. The rustic pink offers a natural warmth, reminiscent of a cozy autumn sunset. Perfect for a coffee date or brunch with friends, it pairs wonderfully with neutral tones or even with denim for a more casual look. For an evening out, try it with a burgundy or chocolate brown dress to accentuate its warmth.
Mauve Over - a light lavender mauve
A breath of fresh air, this light lavender shade is as refreshing as a spring breeze. It’s perfect for picnics, garden parties, or even for a laid-back day at the office. The shade complements floral prints, especially those with lilac or light purple hues. For a contemporary twist, wear it with mint or pastel green outfits.
Crims-On with the Show - a rich crimson
Bold and beautiful, this shade is a statement in itself. The rich crimson is perfect for glamorous events, from red-carpet occasions to romantic dinners. It elevates any little black dress, and when paired with gold accessories, the combination is nothing short of show-stopping.
Of Tutu Minds - a dainty tutu pink
Channel your inner ballerina with this delightful shade of pink. Delicate and elegant, it’s the go-to for bridal showers, baby showers, or simply for days when you feel like embracing your soft, feminine side. Pair it with tulle skirts, lacy tops, or even a simple white dress for that dreamy, ethereal look.
Fog-et About It - a foggy gray
Understated yet sophisticated, this shade evokes the mystery of a fog-covered morning. It’s the perfect companion for monochromatic outfits or a power suit. Whether you’re heading to a business meeting or just enjoying a relaxed evening at a jazz club, this foggy gray ensures your nails exude elegance and poise.
for more blog updates and exclusive discounts
Achieving a stunning manicure goes beyond just selecting the right non-toxic nail polish; the application itself plays a crucial role in determining how elegant and lasting the finish will be. As you journey towards your healthiest manicure yet, let's ensure that the polish not only serves your health but also delivers a flawless finish. Here are some steps and tips to guide you:
Preparing Your Nails for Polish:
- Cleanliness is Key: Begin by ensuring your nails are free from any previous polish using a gentle, acetone-free nail polish remover. This will create a clean slate for your next polish application.
- Shaping and Buffing: Shape your nails according to your preference using a nail file. A slightly rounded shape or square with rounded edges tends to be less prone to breakages. After filing, lightly buff the top of your nails. This provides a slightly rough surface, allowing the polish to adhere better.
- Cuticle Care: Soften the cuticles by soaking your fingertips in warm water for a few minutes. Then, gently push back the cuticles using a cuticle stick. Remember, never cut your cuticles as they act as a barrier against bacteria.
- Hydrate: Once your nails are prepped, apply a lightweight hand and nail moisturizer. This step ensures your nails remain healthy and hydrated. However, ensure that you wipe off any excess oil from the nail bed before applying polish, as it can interfere with polish adherence.
Application Tips for a Lasting, Smooth Finish:
- Always Use a Base Coat: Think of the base coat as the primer for your nails. It ensures that the nail polish has a smooth surface to adhere to, reduces the chance of staining, and can make your manicure last longer.
- Two Thin Coats: It might be tempting to apply a thick layer of polish to get that opaque finish, but resist the urge. Two thin coats will dry faster and reduce the chances of smudging. Wait for the first coat to dry completely before applying the second.
- Stroke Technique: Start by placing a dot of polish at the base of the nail, just above the cuticle. Then, drag the polish upwards in the center, followed by one stroke on each side. This ensures an even distribution of polish.
- Seal with a Top Coat: A top coat acts as a protective barrier, giving your manicure a glossy finish and shielding it from chipping. Make sure to apply it over the edge of the nail to lock in the color.
- Mind the Gap: Keep the polish a tiny gap away from the cuticles. This prevents the polish from lifting and promotes longer wear.
- Quick Dry Drops or Sprays: If you're impatient like most of us, consider using quick dry drops or sprays. They speed up the drying process and prevent accidental smudges.
- Maintain the Manicure: Every couple of days, apply a fresh layer of top coat to prolong the life of your manicure. And keep your nails and hands moisturized. Hydrated nails are less prone to chipping.
Incorporate these steps into your manicure routine, and you'll find that you are treating your nails to non-toxic, healthier polish options and getting a salon-like, flawless finish right at home!
Choosing a non-toxic manicure is a great step towards healthier nails and overall well-being. To ensure that your natural nail polish lasts longer, and your nails and cuticles remain in top condition, follow the below tips and product recommendations.
Tips on Extending the Life of a Non-Toxic Manicure:
- Prep your nails properly: Before applying nail polish, ensure your nails are clean, dry, and free from any oils or creams.
- Apply a good base coat: This will not only protect your nails but also provide a smooth surface for the nail polish to adhere to.
- Apply thin coats: Two thin coats of nail polish last longer than one thick one. Let each coat dry before applying the next.
- Seal with a topcoat: This protects the color from chipping and provides a glossy finish.
- Moisturize your cuticles: Keeping cuticles nourished and moisturized can prevent peeling and dryness.
- Wear gloves when doing dishes or cleaning: This will protect your nails from the effects of water and chemicals.
- Avoid using your nails as tools: This can cause chipping or breaking.
- Glass Top Coat Polish: Our vegan, cruelty-free nail polish shades are made without the 20 common toxins found in conventional formulas. This top coat polish not only protects color from chipping but enhances vibrancy, giving nails a glass-like finish.
- Horsetail Base Coat Polish: Strengthens nails with the horsetail plant, promoting healthy nail growth while protecting your delicate nail bed.
- Nail & Cuticle Oil: Boost the health of nails and cuticles with our oil that blends fruit oils with botanical extracts. It's a remedy for brittle nails and dry cuticles.
Suggested Products for Maintaining the Elegance of a Manicure and Pedicure:
- Hand Creams:
- Body Scrub:
- Lavender Body Scrub: This sea salt scrub not only exfoliates but increases circulation, softening skin with rich, supple moisture. Ensure not to scrub your actual manicure to maintain its beauty.
How do non-toxic nail polishes compare to regular ones in terms of longevity and finish?
Longevity: Non-toxic nail polishes, especially those labeled as "5-free," "7-free," "10-free," etc., are formulated without many of the harmful chemicals commonly found in traditional nail polishes. Due to these omissions, some users might find that certain brands of non-toxic nail polish may chip or wear off more quickly than traditional formulas. However, advancements have been made in recent years, and many non-toxic nail polishes can now compete with their conventional counterparts in terms of wear time.
Finish: The finish of non-toxic nail polishes can be comparable to regular ones. They are available in a range of finishes, from matte to high-gloss, just like traditional nail polishes.
Where can I purchase non-toxic nail polishes?
Non-toxic nail polishes are widely available at many health and beauty retailers, both in physical stores and online. Specialty stores focusing on natural or organic products often carry them. Additionally, many mainstream beauty retailers now have sections dedicated to "clean" or "natural" beauty, which may include non-toxic nail polishes.
Are non-toxic nail polishes suitable for all skin types?
Generally, non-toxic nail polishes are formulated to be safer and less irritating than traditional polishes, making them suitable for most skin types. However, everyone's skin and nails are unique. What works for one person might not work for another. If you have very sensitive skin or known allergies, always read the ingredient list and perhaps do a patch test before applying it to the nails.
How can I remove non-toxic nail polish?
Non-toxic nail polish can typically be removed in the same way as regular polish. That being said, there are also non-toxic nail polish removers on the market that are formulated without acetone and other harsh chemicals. These removers can be gentler on the nails and skin.
Are there non-toxic nail polish removers?
Yes, there are non-toxic nail polish removers available. These are typically free of acetone, which can be drying to the nails and cuticles. Instead, they might be soy-based or use other gentle solvents. They can be found in health and beauty stores, particularly those focusing on natural or organic products, as well as online.
As we wrap up our journey through the world of non-toxic nail polishes, it’s imperative to reflect on the multifaceted advantages that come with making the switch.
First and foremost, elegance is not compromised in the quest for a healthier manicure. Today's non-toxic nail polishes come in a stunning array of shades, finishes, and textures, giving you the freedom to express yourself uniquely. Whether it's a vibrant hue for summer days or a muted tone for those sophisticated evenings, the world of non-toxic polishes has got you covered, ensuring you always step out with confidence and grace.
Next, we consider health. For many, the term “beauty” has often been synonymous with compromise – compromising health for aesthetics. Yet, with non-toxic nail polishes, that trade-off becomes a thing of the past. These products have been meticulously formulated without harmful chemicals like formaldehyde, toluene, and dibutyl phthalate. By choosing non-toxic polishes, you're choosing a healthier environment for your nails and your overall well-being, reducing risks associated with long-term exposure to hazardous ingredients.
But the advantages don't stop with personal health. Making this switch also has broader environmental implications. Conventional nail polishes, with their cocktail of chemicals, pose threats to our ecosystems when they are produced, used, and discarded. Non-toxic polishes, on the other hand, often come from brands that are mindful of their ecological footprint, leading to more sustainable sourcing, production, and disposal processes.
So, as you stand before a vast selection of nail polishes on your next shopping trip, remember the power you wield in that simple choice. It’s more than just a color or finish; it's a statement about the kind of world you wish to inhabit.
We carefully hand-select products based on strict purity standards, and only recommend products we feel meet this criteria. 100% PURE™ may earn a small commission for products purchased through affiliate links.
The information in this article is for educational use, and not intended to substitute professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment and should not be used as such.